Poisons in Your House

The number one household danger, when you have pets, is the trash can. Inside your trash can is food, paper, plastics… I’m sure that you can see the picture. Your pet smells the foods in the trash can, and eats the onion, garlic, paper, plastics, cans and whatever else you have in there. Plus, onion and garlic, which is  toxic food can make a dog sick. If you see trash scattered across your floor, then, your dog or cat is the guilty one. Make sure that your trash can is secured and tucked away.

The bathroom is another area where smells can make your pet curious. The smells of blood from your bathroom trash can is attractive to a dog. Also, personal hygiene items can really cause serious damage. Acetaminophen, which is found in Tylenol and other medicine, can cause liver damage in dogs and anemia in cats. Your cat will die if it digests too much Acetaminophen.

Laundry detergents used to be in liquid form on the top shelf. Today, there are laundry pods. People are storing these pods under the sink, easily accessible to a dog. Eating a pod will cause mouth ulcers and stomach ulcers in your dog.

Chewing gum, mints and toothpaste, that are not put away, are an easy target for a dog. These products contain Xylitol. The sweetener tastes good to dogs, but Xylitol will cause liver damage.

One of the most common household dangers is pesticide and insecticide. When you have pets, please use an organic pesticide and insecticide. You might not use pesticides and insecticides, but your neighbor might use these products. If your cat acts sick, it might have eaten something toxic in the neighbor’s yard.

Some garden stores sell cocoa mulch. Cats and dogs love the smell of the sweet chocolate, and will eat the mulch, which is toxic to your pets. Fertilizer and plant food are also toxic to pets.

Outdoors in your garage, your dog is going to be attracted to anti-freeze, which contains ethylene glycol . (Snow Globes also contain ethylene glycol so keep Snow Globes away from your dog.) Dogs love the sweet taste of anti-freeze, and will lick it up in a second. Unfortunately, digesting anti-freeze only a little bit is a common cause of death of dogs. There is a safe anti-freeze for your automobiles that contains propylene glycol. You can read more about anti-freeze hazards here.

Many over the counter flea and tick remedies are toxic to pets. May I suggest here an excellent flea and tick remedy. The Seresto Collar is a flea and tick remedy that your pet cannot ingest.

In conclusion, it seems like keeping the toxic products away from your dog to be such burden. It really isn’t. All you need to do is close cap of your toothpaste, close cabinets, and put away items. It’s easy to be neat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *